Thursday, March 3, 2011

Double Boiler Oatmeal... only the best for oatmeal snobs!

This is one of my morning favorites that I used to think it was impossible to make... partially because no one makes oatmeal like my mom.  However, after observing the process, I think I've got it nailed!   I'm now an oatmeal snob... and refuse to eat the packaged stuff.  Today, I made the recipe for a group of coworkers to celebrate Lindsey's Birthday!

To make the best oatmeal ever, you need:
  • 1 cup of Quaker Oats (not instant)
  • 2 cups of Milk ( I use Horizon Organic 2%)
  • 1 tablespoon of cinnamon sugar
  • 1 tablespoon of vanilla
  • Double Boiler

 First, fill up the bottom of your double boiler with water.   Next, mix all of the ingredients into the top pot.


 Next, cover your pot and put the gas on high until the water starts to boil.

 Once the water starts to boil, bring your heat down to low/medium.   Let it simmer, stirring every 5-10 minutes. 

 After about 30 minutes, check the consistency...  If you like it, it's done, if not, let it cook some more.  If it's too thick, add a little more milk.   It's really up to you and how you like it!

Lastly, top with your favorite toppings!   The Field School bunch loves bananas, chocolate chips, and walnuts.  Today, we used chocolate chips, bananas, and granola.    Of course, plain is wonderful too!   Let me know what you think and if you come up with any other good combos with toppings!

7 comments:

  1. I don't think its "necessary" to have a double boiler, it just makes the possibility of burning less....either way..yum yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good enuf reason, all b itself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful i used Groats/ Steel cut oats best i have ever eaten thank you so much xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's a resort in the Catskill Mountains who makes the best oatmeal ever. I finally asked the chef what the secret was. He said two words, double boiler. That was good enough for me. The resort is Gavin's...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes I like my steel cut oats in double boiler glass of course but sometimes in instint pot works well I do like to use glass cook wear cookware

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best made a day ahead and I always add a large knob of butter and a pinch of salt. Reheat in the morning and for sweetness if like it that way, stir in a bit of honey.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I was a kid in the '50s and '60s my grandmother from Oklahoma made it this way. Best! She also gave us lots of butter and real cream and of course sugar, honey, brown sugar, maple syrup. Then there was the hand-cut thick bacon, platters of fresh eggs from the hens, gravy, biscuits, chicken dumplings, chitlins, and pork chops, etc. I don't eat that way anymore, but I would if granny were still here.

    ReplyDelete